Emergency plans are very important for people to have in place, in case of a disaster. Hurricanes are mobilizing moment by moment, so for those of us with pets, it is extra imperative that we have a plan including their safety! From the American Red Cross, here are some tips for packing up a pet hurricane kit:
Your kit should include:
- Sturdy leashes, harnesses and/or carriers to transport pets safely and ensure that they can’t escape.
- Food, drinking water, bowls, cat litter/pan and a manual can opener if you pet eats canned food.
- Medications and copies of medical records stored in a waterproof container.
- A first aid kit.
- Current photos of you with your pet(s) in case they get lost. Since many pets look alike, this will help to eliminate mistaken identity and confusion.
- Information on feeding schedules, medical conditions, behavior problems, and the name and number of your veterinarian in case you have to foster or board your pets.
- Pet beds and toys, if easily transportable.