February is dental month here at Parkgate, for your pets! To help you learn more about the dental health of pets, here are some facts.
- Dental disease is the most common clinical condition among our pets
- 80 % of dogs and 70 % of cats have dental disease by 3 years of age
- 1 in 3 pet owners think bad breath is normal in pets
- Pets don’t tell us when their teeth hurt, animals actually hide the signs of illness or weakness
- Never use human toothpaste on your pet. Our toothpaste can be toxic!
- Infection in your pet’s mouth can spread in the blood stream to other organs. This can lead to other health complications.
There are 6 signs of Dental Disease in pets to watch for:
- Bad breath
- Red gums
- Discoloured teeth with brown tartar along gum line
- Receding gum line
- Pawing at mouth
- Difficulty chewing kibble
Book your appointment to be seen at Parkgate Animal Hospital by calling 604 9291863. Happy Dental Month!